NLV instructions

Everything you need is here.

This is what you will need if you are a UK citizen who would like to retire to Spain. It is called a “non-lucrative” visa, allowing you to live in Spain but not work in Spain. 

According to the Spanish consulate, applying for one is quite straightforward, and we provide you with the right people on hand to support you. 

  1. Sufficient economic means (pension and savings)
  2. No criminal record
  3. Private Health Insurance to start with

When applying for your visa, you will need to present everything in the correct format at the Spanish consulate. You must submit certain documents translated into Spanish by a registered legal translator. 

Along with your legalised documents, you will also present your ACRO Police record and a general health declaration signed by your doctor. You will find all the links you need to get them on this page.

First, you need to show you have the economic means. Most people wishing to retire to Spain now use savings combined with their state and private UK pensions to show that they can meet the financial visa requirements. In 2022 you will need to show combined pensions and savings to cover 27,793 EUROS for a single person and 34,741 EUROS for a couple.

It sounds a lot, of course, but most people applying now use their monthly pension/pensions amounts x 12 and then show that they have savings to reach the required yearly amount.

Once you are confident that the sufficient means requirement is covered (contact us if you wish us to confirm), you can move on to the NLV process itself.

The next important stage is health insurance. You will need health insurance, to begin with, because NHS UK cannot issue form S1 to retirees until resident in Spain. That means you will need to put one year’s health coverage in place, and it costs nothing to find out how much that is.

For that, we have an expert in Judith Gil assigned to us by ASSSA  to advise you on the NLV health cover requirements and quote you accordingly. Judith can also help you with the medical declaration form.   

Request Judith Gil from ASSSA to contact you regarding the correct health cover required for the NLV

    Once you know the health care costs you are ready to proceed. Before doing anything else you will need birth certificates and marriage licences legalised in the UK, and you can do this online through the Gov website.

    Next up, you will need to show that you have no criminal record. Again the process is easy and can be done online.

    With the first three processes in place, you are ready to start the NLV application for real. For this, you will need a registered legal translator to translate all the required documents. 

    You are not allowed to use any translator for this purpose; it has to be one that is registered with the Spanish authorities as an authorised legal translator.

    We use Maria del Mar Castellano as our expert registered legal translator because she is very experienced in dealing with NLV translation requirements. You can ask her to contact you using the form below to let you know what she will need to translate legally and the costs involved.  

    Request Maria del Mar Castellano to contact you. She will let you know what is required and the costs involved.

      Once you have Maria C preparing the legal documents for you, it is time to move on to the application process itself. For that, you need an admin translator to deal with the visa application forms. 

      Fortunately, we have Richelle de Wit on hand to offer a service to suit your needs; for her to complete the application forms (and form 790) in Spanish costs 50€ plus IVA. She also provides a service where she completes the forms plus makes sure you have everything you need before going to the consulate. This service costs 100€ plus IVA. 


      Use the form below to request that Richelle contact you to determine the level of service you require.